If you are having trouble using the PIV smart card function of a YubiKey that is physically inserted to a Windows Server 2022 system, follow the steps below.
- Open Device Manager and expand Smart card readers
- Right-click Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (UMDF2) and select Update driver
- Select Browse my computer for drivers
- Select Let me pick from a list of available...
- Select Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard reader (WUDF), click Next, then Close once the wizard has updated the driver
Windows Server 2022 seems to automatically assign the UMDF2 Usbccid Smartcard Reader driver to physically inserted YubiKeys, rather than the WUDF driver, which was automatically assigned in previous versions. UMDF2 does not seem to support YubiKeys, whereas WUDF does.
From our testing, this fix seems to need to be applied on a USB port and/or smart card model basis. In other words, if you use both a YubiKey 5 NFC and YubiKey 5 Nano in the same USB port, you will need to perform the operation once per key. If you use just a YubiKey 5 NFC, but in separate USB ports, you will need to perform it once per port.