This article applies to:
YubiKey NEO and YubiKey NEO-n devices have shipped with firmware version 3.3 since October 1, 2014. This version includes U2F support along with other protocols including Yubico OTP and smart card functionality. All YubiKey NEO devices shipped since November 2014 are shipped with U2F enabled.
YubiKey NEOs cannot be upgraded based on best security practices. There is a “no upgrade” policy for our devices since nothing, including malware, can write to the firmware. If you have an older version of YubiKey NEO, you cannot upgrade it to add U2F functionality.
The YubiKey NEO and NEO-n can be configured for U2F and other modes using the YubiKey NEO Manager. To verify if your YubiKey NEO has U2F enabled, follow these instructions:
To enable U2F Mode on your YubiKey NEO
- Download and install YubiKey NEO Manager.
- Open YubiKey NEO Manager.
- Do one of the following:
- If Change connection mode [OTP+U2F+CCID] is displayed on the button, U2F is already enabled. You don’t need to do anything.
- If Change connection mode [OTP+CCID], is displayed on the button, you need to enable U2F. Click the button. In the Change connection mode dialog box, select the check box for U2F, and click OK. Remove your YubiKey and reinsert it.
- Exit the YubiKey NEO Manager.